Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Katie Barton's Bio


I’d like to say thank-you to all of the contributions that everyone has made to support the Artumas African Foundation. It is a blessing to have the opportunity to reach my goals and beyond and challenge my mind, body and spirit by climbing the world’s largest free standing mountain.

As a student at the University of Victoria, I have had the opportunity to experience many challenges and I am ready to celebrate my graduation by embarking on the extraordinary adventure that climbing Kilimanjaro guarantees. In August I will be awarded my Bachelor of Commerce degree specializing in international business. I have lived in New Zealand and recently spent time over seas in Austria studying. I consider myself somewhat of a seasoned traveler; however, there is no doubt the impact Epic Climb 2009 and Africa will have on broadening my views of the world.

I enjoy being active, and spend my free time running, snowboarding, and boating. Although I am not an expert in any of these areas, I welcome growth and enjoy learning new things everyday. I realize that this has increased my self confidence and continues to develop my character.

I have yet to discover what I will be doing after graduation, but I am passionate about pursuing a career in corporate social responsibility and corporate event planning. I have always enjoyed business and the fast paced nature of corporate life; however, I also take pride in giving back to the community I work in and communicating my enthusiasm to the people I work with. CSR and corporate event planning are areas that really get me excited. Both seem to be a fit for my personality and my desire to make a positive change.

Epic climb 2009 will be challenging, but a 7 day climb does not compare with the hardships the people of Tanzania deal with every day. I am excited to make a difference, knowing that good things will happen one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment